Dry skin can be very annoying and frustrating because you are constantly reminded of how cracked, wrinkled, reddish, and itchy your body has become. You seem to hate the whole of your body because you cannot stand the sight of it. Your face, legs, ankles, and hand leave you in a state of despair making your head throb and you seem gloomed about everything.
To be factual, what you can do for yourself is caring for your skin. For this reason, this article will show you how you can go about that. Read on to find out more interesting details!
Why the Dry Skin?
It is no news that dry skin is caused by a lack of moisture on the skin. The lack of moisture on the skin is attributed to so many factors ranging from external factors like environmental conditions, lifestyles to internal factors like genetics, health, nutrition, and much more. It is often accompanied by certain characteristics such as constant itchiness, flakes, wrinkles, cracks that could lead to bleeding when inflamed, and finally infection.
Moreover, dry skin can affect people of all ages. While affecting the male and female genders equally, older people are more susceptible to developing this skin condition.
However, with the right care and treatment, dry skin can be a thing of the past. You don’t need to worry about anything, just continue reading to find out more about this.
What Are the Ways to Care for Your Dry Skin?
Caring for your dry skin goes a long way to solving the problem you now face. Here are some of the things you can do to care for your dry skin
Washing forms the bedrock for caring for your dry skin. You should at least wash twice a day with warm water. While you might have been used to using hot water to wash, you properly would have noticed that your skin feels drier than ever before. This is true because hot water will strip your skin of its natural body oil and hence having that dry and flaky appearance. Below are some tips while washing
- Avoid prolonged washing – You have dry skin? Then stay away from prolonged baths. The longer you spend washing, the higher the chances of your body getting up dried fast. Likewise, you would have to strip yourself of the minute quantity of natural body oil you have on your skin. A bath of 5 to 10 minutes is better!
- Do not use harsh soaps – If you are caring for your dry skin, then you need to look out for the soap you are using. Harsh soaps can strip your body of its natural oil. Soaps containing glycolic acid are quite good for your skin type
- Get a mild cleanser – In case you want to cleanse your skin, you need to use a mild cleanser. Cleansers do dry up the skin especially if they are sulfate-containing cleansers. This type of cleanser would only open up your skin barrier to the harmful effect of sun rays that could further wrinkle on your skin. Instead, get a mild cleanser without sulfate. Likewise, you should be careful and gentle while cleansing.
If you have dry skin, you need to be exfoliating once a week. This is because the skin is made up of dead cells which need to be replaced to prevent dullness. You might want to believe that when you exfoliate regularly, your crack appearance will reduce. But this is not true, over-exfoliating might cause your cracks to break finally, causing bleeding and might result in infection. It could cause excessive dryness of your skin
Below are some tips to help during exfoliation
- Instead of using scrubs on your skin, get an exfoliating pad
- Do not use a product containing retinol, instead go for products that contain lactic acid or glycolic acid
Use a Moisturizer
Immediately you finish washing, you use a moisturizer to trap some moisture on your face. Doing this will help to keep you hydrated and soothe your skin thoroughly. Look for moisturizers containing the following ingredients
- Ceramides: Ceramides are naturally found on the epidermis of the skin. Research suggests that they made up 50% of the oil present on the skin. While you might not have enough oil on your skin, you must look for a moisturizer containing ceramides. They help to protect your skin barrier while preventing the loss of moisture.
- Hyaluronic acid: Another important ingredient to look out for is hyaluronic acid. This wonderful ingredient helps to add moisture to the face while keeping it radiant. It also prevents the formation of wrinkles on your dry skin
- Dimethicone– Your cracks, flakes, itchy skin will get better when you use a moisturizer containing dimethicone.
- Glycerin: Glycerin helps to pull water to the skin, hence its use in moisturizers
- Lanolin: Lanolin also keeps your skin hydrated due to its emollient properties. It can help reduce the appearances of cracks, flakes, and itches present on your dry skin
You could try to mix a portion of facial oil with your moisturizer to increase the potency of moisturization.
Use Your Sunscreen
You might have guessed that sunscreen isn’t meant for your skin type. But do you wish to have further damages done to your skin by sun rays? Well, you don’t want to go about with some sunburn, and the other things on your face. Hence, the sunscreen. It will protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun, prevent the further formation of wrinkles and fine lines that might want to set it. Sunscreen is worth investing in!
Use a Water-Based Makeup
There are different types of makeup in the market now, however, you need to know which one best suits your skin. A water-based makeup will help protect your dry skin and gives it a natural finish.
Below are some tips to help with your makeup
- You should apply makeup in the right manner
- Avoid using products that will dry out your face
- A liquid highlighter will help give you a natural glowing look instead of the dull appearance your dry skin might have caused
What About Your Lifestyle?
Aside from your skincare routine which has been mentioned above, your lifestyle also goes a long way in caring for your dry skin. This is why this section will discuss some of the lifestyle tips you can use to care for your skin. Let’s dive in!
1. Wearing Of Natural Fiber
Natural fibers like cotton and silk are the best types of fiber to wear if you have dry skin. They help to keep your body hydrated throughout the day. Synthetic fabrics such as polyester can cause the appearance of rashes which do not bode well for rough skin. Furthermore, you can wear this natural fiber cloth as underwear.
2. Using Potted Plants
While the use of air conditioners can dry out your skin especially if you are at home or at the office. To solve this, you can improve your surroundings by using potted plants that have high water retention.
3. Use a Humidifier
Likewise, the air around you might feel so dry especially when the humidity drops. So, you need to add moisture back into the air around you. Get yourself a portable humidifier that can be used solely for this purpose. It will be of a great deal especially when you are at home and work. You can use it overnight as well!
4. Drink Plenty of Water
This should go without saying but water holds the secret to regulating your moisture content. Drinking enough water can help to improve the working condition of your lungs and improve your skin. You can mix a little honey with the water to even out the odds
5. Eat Omega-3 Foods
Research has proven that omega-3 fatty acids are an essential nutrient that can be found in water. The body cannot produce these types of fatty acids on its own, so it has to be added to our diet. They help to regulate the production of oil, maintain hydration and prevent the appearance of signs and symptoms relating to dry skin. Examples of such food include nuts which are rich for the body. Nuts contain vitamins A and E, linoleic acid, and other nutrients that can improve oil production. They also contain zinc, iron, copper that have been proven to maintain skin elasticity. Other foods that you can ingest include walnut, almond, cashew, and peanuts.
Dry skin can be cared for just like any other type of skin. It only takes the right approach in achieving success. You should try to inculcate a good skincare routine such as washing as recommended, using moisturizers with the right ingredients, exfoliating weekly, and so on. Another thing you can do is checking your lifestyle habits. Take note of the tips outlined in this article and you will be sure to get rid of your dry skin.